I want to share some snippets of our story to show why we wanted to write You’re Doing Great Baby.
When I was a new mum I read A LOT of blogs and articles about things that I was going through and wanting to learn more about, and I found it really helpful and normalising to read unvarnished tales of motherhood. I hope that in turn it is helpful for people to read about our story.
The main challenges I faced when I first became a mother were:
- Mental health issues. I have had postnatal depression (PND), which was later diagnosed as mild postnatal psychosis, after both of my children.
- Breastfeeding issues – Insufficient Glandular Tissue (IGT) and the heartbreak of low supply.
- Birth trauma.
- Isolation and loneliness.
- Not knowing how to look after myself or ask for help.
- Identity crises.
- Freaking out about baby sleep.
- (Listening to) the unhelpful things people say to new parents.
It’s not all challenges though. There have been many, many joys. Especially once the mental health and breastfeeding issues had settled down. I have also written about the good times:
- Community and how kids grow community.
- Helpful things I’ve been told that stick in my mind.
- The healing birth of Clem.
- Creative life after kids.
- Stuff I’ve read that made me feel less alone.