And you don’t just get to read story books. There are a lot of great baby books, maze books, searching books, educational books, sticker books, activity books, puzzle books, animal & dinosaur books, joke books, pop-out mask books, paint-with-water books, colour-by-number books and puzzle books. You get to help with all these too.
We don’t so much think of You’re Doing Great, Baby as a children’s book, but it still kind of is. Kids can read it. It’s certainly been shaped by all the books we’ve read over the last five years of bedtimes.
In honour of Children’s Book Week, here are some of the books we’ve loved.
Do you have any favourites? Any recommendations? Please let us know in the comments.
- A Song for Lorkie by Dean Bowen & Jennifer Castles
- Look at You! A Baby Body Book by Kathy Henderson, illustrated by Paul Howard
- The High Street by Alice Melvin
- The Elephant and the Bad Baby by Elfrida Vipont
- Busy Day, Busy People by Tibor Gergely
- Mrs Bottle Burps by Robyn Archer, illustrated by Victoria Roberts
- The Great Steamboat Mystery by Richard Scarry
- The Lighthouse Keeper’s Lunch by Ronda & David Armitage
- What Do You Say, Dear? by Sesyle Joslin, illustrated by Maurice Sendak
- Hannukah! by Roni Schotter, illustrated by Marylin Hafner
- The Ladybird Book of Rhymes
- Cornelius P Mud, Are you Ready for Bed? by Barney Saltzberg
- The works of Mo Willems, especially Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale and the Elephant & Piggy books.
- The Tiger Who Came to Tea by Judith Kerr
- In the Night Kitchen by Maurice Sendak
- Slinky Malinki and Schnitzel Von Krumm’s Basketwork by Lynley Dodd
- The Day Louis Got Eaten by John Fardell
- 1001 Kids’ Jokes by Kay Barnham
- Little Book of Wild Australia illustrated by Gary Fleming
- Creature by Andrew Zuckerman
- The Encyclopedia of Fishes: A Complete Visual Guide
- Burglar Bill by Janet & Allan Ahlberg
- The Great Undersea Search
- Pooh’s Mailbox by Kathleen Zoehfeld, illustrated by Mike Peterkin
- A Little Bit by Christine & Peter Maniaty, illustrated by Claire Richards
- Beware the Frog by William Bee